In industrial operations, the raw materials, assembly parts, and produced goods require efficient handling and management. The movement of all these components in the modern industrial structure is carried out by using electrically powered automated vehicles. One such vehicle is a forklift that comprises a small truck frame along with a front-facing mast assembly, responsible for lifting and lowering the platform on which the cargo is loaded.
“Industrial Automation” is the future of modern-day industries that aims to reduce human labor. When human input is imminent, employing automation multiplies safety. Automated Guided Vehicle (AGV) forklifts are a result of this concept. It is a type of forklift that is operated by a complex system of software, magnetic strips, and sensors to automate in-house logistics.
Quick links to AGV Forklift Information
How do AGV Forklifts Work?
AGV forklifts, as mentioned before, work on a complex system handled by software and sensors. Not only do they eliminate the need for an operator, but they also tend to work with sheer accuracy. Following is a summary of the features of AGV forklifts which are in demand for all industries:
- The front-facing mast assembly of the AGV forklift, designed to provide horizontal and vertical movement, is controlled by the software guidance through the machine’s system.
- A designated path on which the AGV forklift will function is fed to the machine’s operating system so that the forklift does not deviate from its working line.
- The speed of the AGC forklift is directed by the sensor system as it uses the sensors on the front end to regulate the speed.
- To ensure workers’ safety, AGV forklifts have a yellow zone; if any worker enters it, the machine slows down its speed. It also has a red zone, in which if the worker steps, the machine completely stops.
- A system of visual and acoustic signals are used by the AGV forklifts while lifting the cargo and traveling, respectively.
Advantages of AGV Forklifts
Automated forklifts are an improved form of the traditional forklifts having multiple benefits. Following are some of the most valuable benefits of the AGV forklifts:
- AGV forklifts have minimal human interaction, enabling businesses to save a fortune on labor costs.
- These vehicles can work tirelessly 24/7 throughout the year. Although the downtimes and repair times can affect the availability of these vehicles.
- These automated forklifts help reduce the plant’s noise and exhaust fumes.
- As it is programmed and its operations are directed by software, human error is minimized profusely.
- Any of the products lost or misplaced during or after transport can be easily tracked. Thus AGV forklifts help regulate accountability as well.
- AGV forklifts enable the possibility of avoiding collisions so accidents and damages in the facility can be reduced.
- AGV forklifts handle the material loaded on it gently and delicately in order to protect it from any kind of breakage.
Applications of AGV Forklifts
The automated guided vehicle forklifts provide small logistics operations for many industries, including:
- Chemical Industries
- Automotive Parts
- Beverage Manufacturing
- Food Processing
- Plastics and Polymers
- Warehousing and Distribution
- Steel Manufacturing
- Paper and Tissue Processing
- Raw Material Dandling